Being a parent, your child is your number one priority. There are countless well-known childhood illnesses/ diseases that most parents are on the lookout for, but one severe disease that affects approximately 13,000 United States children a year is diabetes, which is often overlooked. Diabetes is a disease that causes the child's body not to produce insulin, making them have too much sugar in their blood. Knowing these symptoms of diabetes is very important and could ultimately save your child's life.
1. EXTREME THIRST: The most common symptom of childhood diabetes is having extreme thirst. This happens because the excessive amount of sugar in the blood absorbs large amounts of water.
2. URINATING MORE FREQUENTLY: Kids with diabetes urinate more frequently. Because they are drinking a lot more water, they will need to use the bathroom more often than normal. They might be going to the bathroom more often during the night. If your child usually doesn't wet the bed, and now all of a sudden they do, that also might be a sign.
3. IRRITABILITYAND MOOD CHANGES: Irritability and mood changes occur a lot in kids. When their body doesn't have enough sugar, their body tries to take all the sugar that it has and move it through certain areas of the brain. This makes their sugar level go up and down, making them moody.
4. ABRUPT WEIGHT LOSS: Abrupt weight loss will also happen. Their bodies are trying to get energy from any place they can when they don't have enough sugar in their body to supply it. This causes the body to use up any fat it has stored to get that energy. This causes them to lose a lot of weight very suddenly. When the body doesn't receive the sugar it needs, their muscle tissue and cells begin to reduce in size, causing their weight to go down. Expelling the fluids out of their body makes them lose weight.
5. EXTREMELY TIRED OR WEAK: If your child is complaining about being extremely tired or extremely weak, there could be a problem. This again is because your child does not have enough sugar in their body to be used as energy. If they are unable to exert as much energy as they did before or the same amount as other kids their age, this could indicate there is a problem.
6. FRUITY SMELLING BREATH: Fruity smelling breath can occur with kids that have diabetes. This is because their body is in ketosis, which means that their body is in the process of eating stored fat and healthy muscles. This process releases ketones through their mouth which smell fruity. Ketones are the substances that a body makes when it breaks down the fat stores to be used for energy.
7. BLURRED VISION: Having blurred vision is a frequent symptom of diabetes in kids. Once again, since the body doesn't have enough sugar it pulls it from anywhere it can get it. So, the fluid in the lens of their eyes could be pulled out. This may affect their ability to see clearly, thus causing them to have blurry vision.
If your child experiences any of these symptoms, you should contact their doctor immediately. Even though this may seem terrifying, it will be worth it to know whether or not your child has diabetes and if so, get them started on a program to control their insulin levels.
More information on diabetes, diabetes diet plans and necessary diabetic supplies can be found at MiniPharmacy Diabetic Supplies.
Frank Buddenbrock, based in Los Angeles, California, is a writer and Search Engine Optimization genius. His company, SEO Einstein, consistently gets his clients onto Google's first page for major keywords.